Sunday, November 10, 2013

What do you do on Sunday?

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:"

I get asked a lot "What do you do on Sundays?" The answer is simple: I relax and seek to feel closer to God.



Sunday is able to be such a relaxing day. It starts by getting to sleep in (if you don't have an early church meeting)! Then, you wake up, get ready for the day, and attend your church meetings (more info on that in the post "What do you do at church?").

After the meetings.....I go home. The rest of the day is free (unless you have the occasional evening fireside) for you to choose how to spend it. It's great because you have so many options of what to do and so much time to do it. The point of the Sabbath is to feel closer to the Lord. My favorite Sunday activities are listening to relaxing music, spending time with my immediate and extended family, working on church callings (callings are volunteer jobs that you do for the Church), playing soothing music, and working on scouting.

Deciding what to do and what not to do on Sundays is a personal decision. The Church doesn't offer specifics guidelines on how to spend your Sabbath. BUT, they do offer suggestions for what you can do! In the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet published by the Church, it says that "Such activities include spending quiet time with your family, studying the gospel, fulfilling your Church callings and responsibilities, serving others, writing letters, writing in your journal, and doing family history work." I believe anything that helps you feel closer to God is a good Sabbath activity.



The Sabbath is a day for us to remember Christ. Personally, whenever I strive to observe it, I feel uplifted, I feel more prepared to take on the challenges of the week, and I feel relaxed. Elder L. Tom Perry (an apostle of the Church) said, "Let your family be filled with love as you honor the Sabbath all day long and experience its spiritual blessings throughout the week." 

I'm thankful for the Sabbath, for the meetings I have on that day, and for the blessings that I feel when I observe it.

-Blake


No comments:

Post a Comment