Thursday, November 28, 2013

Erin's Thankful List!


I thought it would be appropriate to write a post parallel to what is being celebrated this week: Thanksgiving. A tradition in my family is that on Thanksgiving evening, we all hold hands and say ten things we are thankful for. I want to share my thankful list!


1. I am thankful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

No matter how cliché or redundant it sounds, I know that I am truly blessed to be a member of the Church. I was born into the church, but it wasn't forced upon me. I struggled and had to work to find myself and my testimony. At the time, I was leaning on other's testimonies because I believed mine was too weak; but it wasn't possible for me grow leaning on others’ testimonies because a testimony is based on my relationship with Heavenly Father. Once I started searching for my own testimony, I realized just how blessed I am to be a part of this Church and that the Church is true.

2. I am thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ.

One thing that always draws me back when I start to doubt is my Savior, Jesus Christ. I don't know how I can put all the gratitude and love I feel for Him in one paragraph. My gratitude towards Christ is everlasting and never ending. As Kari Jobe eloquently puts, "What love is this that you gave your life for me and made a way for me to know you. And I confess, you're always enough for me. You're all I need". That statement so true. His love for us is so tangible and so real, and I'm beyond grateful for the love He showed us by dying for us on the Cross.


3. I am thankful for the Holy Spirit of God.

I cannot deny that I have seen the Holy Spirit of God at work throughout all aspects of my life. No matter if it was a calm feeling, a warm feeling, a prompting, an epiphany, or just being overcome with tears, I've felt its presence. The feeling of its presence is something that cannot be precisely explained. The Spirit has truly blessed my life and has guided me through thick and thin.

4. I am thankful for the scriptures.

I cherish the scriptures. I am grateful for the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and other scriptures God has given to us. They reveal His mightiness and His doctrines and teachings. I am grateful for the joy and peace the scriptures have brought to my life and the joy they continue to bring to me!


5. I am thankful for the prophet Joseph Smith.

Without Joseph restoring The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I know I would be lost. I would lack the one thing that holds me together and leads me to eternal life with our Heavenly Father, our Beloved Savior, and the ones we love. I cannot be thankful enough that young fourteen year old Joseph Smith for going into that grove one spring day and praying for the answers so many still cannot answer to this day. I am so thankful God answered him and set apart the Church to be the full and true Church of Jesus Christ.

God’s timing for restoring this church is amazing. God could have easily let us stay in the darkness, but God is a merciful God and has blessed us with this Church and all its doctrine.

6. I am thankful for the temple.

President Thomas S. Monson described the blessings of the temple like so: “As we go to the holy house, as we remember the covenants we make therein, we will be able to bear every trial and overcome each temptation. The temple provides purpose for our lives. It brings peace to our souls—not the peace provided by men but the peace promised by the Son of God when He said, ‘Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.’” How true that statement is. I testify that I feel the most peace when I go into the temple or simply walk on its grounds. I can humble myself at the temple without any complication because I am not bombarded by the worldly distractions that surround me daily. I am so thankful for, and hope to never take advantage of, the blessings of the Temple.


7. I am thankful for music.

Whether it's a hymn, a song on the radio, or even a song I wrote in my song journal, I am thankful for music. I am so thankful that God has blessed me with it. I cannot necessarily touch music; I cannot see the music that singing produces and brings, but I can feel it. I've realized the things I cannot see or touch are the most precious things I have. I’m also thankful for the singers behind the music for making it come alive. I cannot count the times where a song has spoken peace to my mind or has made me feel joy. It's the singer that makes me feel the butterflies I feel when I listen to wholesome music.

8. I am thankful for my family.

I’m thankful for not only for my family like my mother or my sister, but every living thing on this planet. Flesh and blood does not define what a family is to me. Love defines a family.

9. I am thankful for nature.

I am so thankful for nature. To me, nature is the beauty that God has given me, not what man has given me. I mean the trees, the flowers, and even the weeds. I am grateful for the sea, the sky, the sun and the hills; I am grateful for the animals, for I look at animals the same way I look at myself. Nature exemplifies the glory of God and how can I not be thankful for the glory of God.


10. I am thankful for myself.

Hopefully nobody will take this as cocky, but I am thankful to be myself. I am thankful that God has given me a body so I can live on this earth and experience life. I am also thankful that He simply created me as a spirit in the first place. How dull my existence would be without a chance to have a body like my Heavenly Father, and how sad it would be to not even be created in the first place. But that is NOT the case. I know that God loves me all because He created me and I am thankful for myself and for who I've become. I am thankful for ME. I've realized before I can truly love others, I must love myself.

So there it is – my thankful list! Of course there are so many other things I am grateful for, but I think these are the top ten. Though thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday, I am thankful every day! Happy Holidays!

-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment